Friday 17 October 2014

October and I have not blogged at all for 3 months.

In terms of running, not much has been going on.  I notice from my previous post that I was struggling with injury.  And yes I was injured.

After a visit with the consultant I was diagnosed with Gilmores Groin, aka Sports Hernia, both on the left and right side of my groin.  An MRI was scheduled for the beginning of September (was on holiday in the US for all of August).

The MRI confirmed the surgeons originally diagnosis and an appointment for Surgery was made for September 11th.

Surgery completed and now have a healthy seven inch scar below my 'bikini' line.  Looks like I may have had a ceaserian.  The pain immediately after the operation was excruciating, but I was told that I had to make an effort to walk as much as possible and to follow a prescribed set of exercises from day one.  This included amongst other things, a set of crunches that brought tears to my eyes just thinking about them.

By the second week I was back running, albeit slowly and for short distances.

Now I am entering my fifth week post op, and although my fitness is not at levels it was in July, I am running reasonably well.  I have managed to get up to around 8 miles in one session at around 6:45 pace.  Am happy to report that this is not causing any discomfort during or after running.  It is going to be now until Xmas until I am back up to base fitness, but that should put me in good stead for the Spring Marathon season.

No comments:

Post a Comment